Thursday, February 10, 2022

OpPoSiTeS - A Porcupine Named Fluffy

 Discovery Area

(Objects change with themes and seasons)

When I engage with natural materials from the world around me I am learning…


  • to nurture my natural sense of adventure and curiosity.

  • to develop an understanding of the natural world.

  • persistent problem solving.

  • the basic elements of scientific reasoning (making and testing predictions, seeking evidence, drawing conclusions).


Library and Play School Area

When I listen to reading and engage with books, I am learning…

  • that learning to read is important and fun!

  • that letters on a page represent words.

  • to interpret pictures to represent ideas.

  • to follow the development of thoughts and ideas in the plot of a story.


Toys and Games 

When I play with puzzles, games, and loose parts, I am learning…

  • about math concepts, like the relationships of parts to the whole.

  • about attributes such as shape, size, and color.

  • eye-hand coordination, small motor skills, and problem solving.

  • vocabulary related to the materials I use. 


Letters & Literacy Center


When I use writing boards, magnetic letters, and sensory bins, I am learning,...


  • about the alphabet and how letters are formed. 

  • how to use mark making as a way to communicate my ideas to others. 


Construction Center

blocks, Legos, vehicles, building materials 


When I play with blocks, I am learning…

  • math skills like size, shape, and repeating patterns. 
  • about physics in the form or stacking and balancing. 
  • problem solving, logical consequences, and perseverance. 

When I play with vehicles, I am learning…
  • to see myself from a different perspective.
  • how wheeled vehicles move through the world and what happens when they crash.
  • About force, motion, gravity, and friction. 

Sand and 

Water Table 


When I play with water and other materials in the sensory table, I am learning…

  • eye-hand coordination as I learn to pour, fill, and scoop.
  • to use tools like funnels, cups, and scoops to accomplish a task.
  • math concepts such as volume, weight, capacity, empty, and full. 
  • properties of solids and liquids in motion.
  • about density as I test which items sink and which ones float. 


Dramatic Play Area

When I play in the kitchen  area with food and dolls, I am learning…

  • to use my imagination and act out different roles.

  • to cooperate and negotiate with others during play. 

  • to develop and use more complex vocabulary. 

  • to solve problems through negotiation with my peers.

  • to improvise, using things in a symbolic way to represent something else. 


Art we created to welcome patients at the Edgerton Community Hospital




Art Center

When I paint, scribble, and draw, I am learning…

  • to develop my imagination and creativity.

  • to hold writing utensils correctly. 

  • about color and shape concepts. 

  • to communicate my feelings and ideas to others. 

  • concepts of symmetry, balance, and design.


Bingo Dobber Gumball Machines - Opposite of Full is Empty





Opposite paintings with black and white